One of the most difficult and important exams that students come across is SAT. A good SAT score can be a great tool when you want to take admission in a great college. But it also puts a lot of pressure and can be overwhelming. The main difficulty that most of the students face is that they do not really have a structured plan to qualify the test. Instead, they end up cramming the information at the last point in time. And we all know, this can never be good! But getting a good score is not going to be that difficult of a task if the student is determined enough. Here we have some information to offer to students in order to enable them to develop a better understanding of the exam and easily get through.
How to get a perfect score on the SAT:
The maximum number of marks that one can get in the exam is 1600. The highest SAT score each year is acquired by only around 300 students out of the total 1.6 million who appear for the exam. The internet is so flooded with information that it gets really easy to feel puzzled all the time. Let us take a look at a properly organized success strategy for SAT.
What it takes to get 1600 on the SAT
To get the top SAT scores range, your preparation has to be perfect for the exam. The tips here will give you a guideline as to how you can attempt the paper.
1. While attempting reading section: How to get a perfect score on the sat? If you want a perfect score, you cannot afford to miss more than two questions from the test. The best way is to try not to miss more than one question.
2. While attempting Maths section: This is going to be a brutal one, the curve in Math. If you even miss one question on the subject you are not going to get an 800.
3. While attempting Writing: The maximum number of questions that you can miss in this section is just one. Seems like you are on the border, doesn’t it? Well, if you practice enough, achieving this is not as difficult as it seems.
Basically, your SAT prep should be aimed to have perfection. It should be known that if you miss more than a question in two of the sections, you will not be able to get a score of 1600. Therefore, it is advisable not to put yourself at risk.
Let's have a look at the tips you need to follow to get 1600 on the SAT test:
Make your objective stronger:
You really have to want to achieve your goal, and this cannot be stressed enough. Your desire will act as a fuel for the efforts you are required to put in. You have to have a positive attitude and a strong motivation so that you can work harder. The SAT prep has to be your top priority, and you will have to give up on scrolling through social media or just hanging out during your free time.
Motivation becomes really important as there will be days when during your sat practice test you might score well sometimes, and other times you might even fail. It has to be the inner strength that will keep you focused during such times and not getting depressed. You will have to understand your mistakes and make sure that you do not repeat them again.
To do that, make a list of the points as to why you want to clear the exam. For example, you want your sat scores for Harvard or Ivy League school. It has to be a good and valid reason that is going to keep you on track.
There are also going to be times when you are just too tired or feeling lazy. No matter how lethargic you feel, you will have to combat this. Remember, getting a perfect score requires a whole new level of dedication, and you have to buckle up for that. It is always easier to keep the hard work aside and convince yourself with a sloppy excuse for which you will have to pay later. No matter what, don’t procrastinate.
What worked for me:
Here are some of the tips and tricks that have worked in my favor during the exam to get a perfect score and might help you all as well.
1. The exam that exists today is more straightforward. The questions do not have a high degree of difficulty. But because of this score inflation is expected. Before it used to be around 1500 out of 1600 and now it is around 1550 to be at par.
2. Every section comes with at least two to three questions that are tricky. Make sure you do attempt these questions well as these are going to have an impact while taking admission in Harvard and some other good college. Such questions might seem easy at first, and the answers might seem straightforward. But the students who find the trick hidden within are the ones getting a perfect score.
3. Make sure you not only have time to attempt the questions but also check once again before submission.
4. Many people are scared and make a big deal out of the Trigonometry questions. You have to keep in mind that it is a very small section and a maximum of two questions will be given in the paper. So even if you are weak in trigonometry, don’t stress too much about it and focus on the sat practice test to improve the other areas as well. If you keep focusing on your weaknesses, you will remain stuck on those. This can hamper your progress.
5. Make sure that you are good at basic math, fractions, factoring and completing the square and are able to attempt such questions without the use of a calculator.
6. In the reading section, there will be questions where you have to give the answer related to the previous questions. To solve them you must try to answer the questions without having to look for the options and then always ask yourself if they are really connected to your previous question or not. Make sure you do more practice so that these tips can make more sense and help you recognize such questions.
7. Some people say that the SAT vocabulary is of no importance but remember, there are going to be some words with a college-level difficulty that if you are not able to understand you will not be able to understand the entire passage. It also has its importance when you are going to attempt the writing and the language section. So during your sat study make sure not to ignore the vocabulary completely. It may not be asked directly, but a good vocabulary is definitely beneficial for the overall paper.
8. There are always questions in the paper that focus on the women's rights or are related to civil rights. Apart from that, there will be passages related to the current affairs. So make sure you have updated accordingly.
9. Focus well on your grammar as it is going to get you through the writing and the language section. There are going to be trick questions in which you will have to fill up with a word that is grammatically correct. Eliminating the wrong choices as to why a certain word will not fit properly will help you narrow down to the right answer and will be of great help. This can prove to be an effective strategy while solving such questions.
10. Essays nowadays are easier than the ones that were given previously. It is less likely to get a writer's block as we are analyzing a passage. And once you are aware of the rhetorical and persuasive parts of the essay, analyzing becomes far easier. In almost every passage and essay you will find word choice and statistics. A minimum of 21 is what can be considered a great score.
What Do You Need To Do to get a Perfect 1600 SAT score
In simple words getting an SAT score of a perfect 1600, you must work really hard combined with smart study and a little bit of Luck. After you have listed the reasons as to why you want a perfect score in the examination, follow the advice and guidance given below and use your aim for the exam to act as a fuel when you sit to study in every session.
1. Have good quality study material:
The sat exam is going to be very different from other exams that you are used to appearing for in your life. It tests your knowledge of even the simple concepts in a very different and bizarre manner. This is how the paper is made difficult. They will present to you things that you are already familiar with but how you are going to solve the problems based on the concept will be something new.
Right now the best SAT prep questions come from the official SAT practice tests. Make sure you attempt the kind of questions that are asked in the paper and not go into other details as it will be of no use.
Most of the books and the SAT prep courses available today are not written by experts. Usually, the answers provided are random and can not be really trusted to be the right information. You have to get some good quality books. They may seem to be a bit pricey, but they have questions and study material relevant to the examination.
2. Work Smarter:
After you do have a lot of study material, be smart not just to learn all the facts or each page of the book given as it will not be possible nor will it be of any use. Such methods of studying are just meant satisfy you that you did work hard for the test but eventually will not be of any use.
You have to find a way to work smarter as it is the only approach that will help you to score in SAT. Additionally, you may also opt for SAT prep classes which are going to make sure that you can get most out of your studying and make your preparation more efficient.
3. Have an understanding of your mistakes:
This is going to be the weapon that will make you succeed over other students. Whenever you make a mistake in your test, it happens because of a reason. When you try to understand why exactly you made that mistake and how to correct it, you are not going to repeat it again in your final test.
If your score level is of around 700, it is sure that you are missing out on ten to fifteen percent of the questions every time. If that is the case you must follow these tips:
· When you take your prep test make sure that you mark the questions that you are even 20 percent unsure about.
· When you assess your test or quiz make sure you always review each and every question attempted. Also, mark incorrect answers. By doing this even if you have taken a guess for the question, it is going to become your habit to review it and will help you in the long run.
· Maintain a diary and take note of the questions that you missed and the reason for missing that particular question as well. Make another separate section by subject and topic. For example in reading, make a different section for passages, sentence completion, sentence errors and improving paragraphs.
Remember that it is just not enough to think and read the answer’s explanation and move on.
You need to give importance to every question as to why you had missed it and how you are going to avoid that mistake in the future. You need to find and work on your weaknesses, simultaneously maintaining your strengths.
4. When you do miss question:
When you do miss a question during your SAT study, avoid making excuses like you did not have the study material or it was not taught in your SAT prep courses. Be specific as to why you were not able to attempt the question and how you can improve on that specifically. Here we give you some of the common reasons that will help you to understand your mistake better.
· You probably did not study for that specific topic.
· You must not have been equipped yourself with the skills that are needed to be learned. Thus, you should know how you are now going to improve on that.
· Maybe, you are confused about the methodology for solving that particular question. How the particular question must be solved and can you find out a general rule while solving such specific questions is something you need to know beforehand.
· When you were stuck in questions between two options think
about why it was difficult to eliminate one of them and how could it have been done. Can a plan be made in the future when you face the same situation the next time?
· When you had misread a question and opted for a wrong answer, think about why it had happened and how can it be avoided.
5. Find patterns:
Now, here we are not talking about patterns of answers but a pattern of your weaknesses. This is automatically going to happen when you study your diary in which you mention your missed questions and review them. It can be a simple grammar rule, or a math problem form a certain topic say geometry, or it can be your habit of reading the questions incorrectly or not going through all the choices.
Focussing on your mistake is very important as you will have a very limited time while solving your test. By doing this, you are spending your time on working in those areas in which you are weak that will eventually get you the biggest improvement in your score.
Most students make the mistake of working hard just on their strengths as it is an easier and a comfortable space to work in. Getting out of your comfort zone is difficult. But this, trying to stay comfortable all the time, in reality, is a waste of your time as it becomes a hurdle in your academic growth.
When you do find the weakness make sure to find out the resource and start working really hard on it. This is going to be a very tough task as you do have to manage the following things in the specific amount of time.
· Solve as many practice test as possible.
· Find out your weaknesses.
· Assess if you are improving or not.
· Make future strategy accordingly.
This is going to be the basic structure of an effective study process, but it will be mentally tiring as well. This is online Sat prep classes become important as these sites are going to do most of the work for you which remove a lot of load from your shoulders and you can just concentrate on learning. Make sure you opt for what works best for you as an individual and not what everyone is blindly following.
6. Avoid Careless mistakes:
These are going to be the mistakes that you feel the worst about when the results are out. You had studied well and knew how to solve the problem, but you still attempted it incorrectly just because of a silly mistake such as misreading the question. This can happen maybe n a hurry of attempting all questions due to time constraints or just being overconfident while attempting.
Following points will help you in avoiding such mistakes:
· Even while attempting the questions that seem easy to you and you are sure about them, double check. As SAT is designed to ask you trick questions, to avoid any confusion always underline what's being asked and what is to be solved. This may sound like a lot of work but will help you in the test very much.
· Make sure you are careful when you choose the option of No Change as your answer, this is a very common error that students make while attempting the Writing section. Always check grammar rules as they are usually ignored and only tick the No change option when you are absolutely sure about it.
7. Make an effective study plan:
When you are going to sit for the exam, you must have studied for more than two hundred hours in total. You have to make sure that you have made the most out of all the hours that you studied in. When you have an effective study plan, it is going to bring huge returns. If you have some of the effective techniques to study, you are going to save a lot of time. Here are a few tips:
· Create a proper schedule for each day: It is important that you have a plan that has details of when and how you are going to study and make sure you stick to it.
· Remove all distractions: When you get serious about cracking the test you have to attempt to cut down on all the distractions that you can have. It can be social media like facebook, text, snaps. These are fun but will easily take away hours of your precious time, and you will not even be aware of it.
Here we give you some quick tips to help you with it:
· Study in a quiet environment, where you are not disturbed.
· Always switch your phone off and leave it in another room.
· Don’t study with a group of friends who are easily distracted.
· If going for online study use tools, make sure you do not start surfing random websites.
In conclusion, the way to score better in the SAT exam is not something extraordinarily difficult. All of it comes down to practice and reviewing your answers. Try to practice as much as you can. Don’t ignore the essays, sit down to actually write the essays while practicing instead of rummaging through an essay book in a cursory manner.
You need to start with the preparations months before, preferably from the summers. Solve all of the four official tests provided. You can opt for online SAT prep on various apps. Practice more SAT prep questions that you are weak in.
This entire process requires a lot of hard work and dedication, but once you manage to get through it, you are going to have a perfect score.