Speed can be a major game changer in exams demanding quick solutions. Good command over calculation helps to decrease the time required to solve the problems. Here we are sharing a few ideas to boost your calculation speed. Hope it will be helpful for you
1. Maths concepts clarification
As well as we know visual effects last longer, you should visualize the example first instead of doing it. It will help you to identify the pattern and thus develop tricks of your own.
Understand the category of problem. For better understanding, your basics fundamentals should be clear which will help you to analyze the problem and decide the corresponding formula or method to solve.
Solve the problem by applying suitable tricks and techniques.
2. Do mental maths practice
- Develop and maintain the tendency of playing with numbers. Pick any random number and do basic operations in mind. Start with simple operations like addition, subtraction, and divide.
- Essential of mental calculation is digital fluency, and the practice and determination can achieve that.
- Do some mental mathematics yoga in the morning. Morning practice can help you to achieve the highest efficiency. Wake up early in the morning and try to solve a few tricky examples it might seem hard at the beginning, but slowly you can proceed to the best level.
3. Simplify the maths problem
- When you are confronted with a complicated math calculation, try to find a way to simplify the problem. For quick calculation break numbers to the nearest round figure, it will easy to calculate.
- For a big math problem, you can split it into the small parts. It will help you to solve faster with more accuracy.
- Being approximate is fine in the early stage. Use approximation techniques for solving complex problems, which will prove more convenient for you to save time and helps you to increase the speed.
4. Memories maths fundamentals
By heart, the essential basics like tables up to 30, square up to 30, cubes up to 20, cube roots, square roots and fraction tables (1/n). Grasping this all essential data will help you to achieve numerical frequency. The Best practice to memories essential basics is to write it at least three times daily and it will better if you do it in the morning.
5. Master maths formulas
Learn and memories basic rules, formulas and understand methods of algebra, geometry, and fractions. Many questions are right formula based, and it will be helpful to get an answer quickly if you have good command over methods.
6. Math Tutors
A math tutor can also help you to solve math trick questions and guide you on how you can improve your speed. There is some useful tutoring site Queryfloor helps you to boost your calculation speed. Maths tutor provides you good puzzles, tricks, and techniques to know how to tickle with the challenging problem quickly.
7. Maths practice more
- Practice is key in mathematics. Efficiency comes with practice. Regularly practice solving problems at least for an hour.
- Start with simple and slowly proceed to the intermediate level. Only with the right amount of practice, one can see real improvement in one’s calculation speed.
8. Include maths calculations in your everyday life
Mathematics can be fun if you involve it in your daily life. Try some fun tricks to improve your speed of calculation such as
- Observe cricket score and perform basic operations like calculating an average, additions, and multiplication.
- While traveling, you can count car numbers and divide or multiply by cars you saw it would be helpful to boost your mental maths.
- Observe companies balance sheet and try to find an average.
9. Learn short maths calculation tricks
Take help of Vedic mathematics to get some quick and easy tricks to solve problems quickly. You can get various videos and articles of Vedic mathematics from Google or YouTube. Learn little tricks for the practice and determination can achieve that addition, subtraction and multiplication operations. For example:-
- Turn multiplication problems into addition using the distributive property.
- Use double and halve method to calculate square number faster.
- Apply 11 times trick for faster multiplication
- Exploit factorization to perform division quickly.
- Take proper guidance from math tutors in terms to achieve better efficiency as well as speed.
10. Challenge yourself
You may find it tough to attend speed in the initial stage, but with self-motivation and determination, you can improve your skills. Increase your practice time; morning session is ideal to improve calculation speed. Take help of timer to practice various modules depending upon your calculation speed.
We have discussed in detail about what exact procedure that needs to be followed to calculate fast and solve the math problems with ease. The step-wise-step process is sure to help you in achieving greater heights. In the process, I have emphasized in point 2 that to calculate fast, one needs to do mental math practice. Mental math practice is essential if you want to rack any competitive exams. There are three categories in which the whole mental math exercise is divided:
(a) Offensive: This technique aims to get the result as fast as possible.
(b) Defensive: This technique is used to establish the truth or implausibility of a result and not to get the result fast.
(c) Entertaining: This technique is used to stun the people around by producing the result in a way that seems very unbelievable. This technique stuns both by the result and by the way the result is produced.
11. Identifying your own mistakes:
Those who regularly practice Maths must have observed that they are unable to get the answer to some problems because of some of the minor mistakes that they make. To avoid all of this, you have to identify all your committed mistakes.
Maths seems to be difficult for this reason only. We fail to identify our own mistakes and continue to commit these silly mistakes again and again. The best way is to observe the problem in a detached way and find flaws. Once you master the art of identifying your own mistakes, you will overcome them and feel easy to solve any kind of problem.
12. Understanding not just the trick, but the concept of the problems:
It is a common mistake committed by students in their exams time. They just start to solve the problem without understanding the concept of the question. This is the reason that they fall behind. How can one get the answer right when he/she has understood the question wrong? One has to read the question with a cool mind and then understand the logic behind it. This suggestion looks very obvious and seems that if this needs to be highlighted? Well, it needs a special mention. In a hurry, we always tend to commit this mistake.
We remember so many tricks and formulas, and while learning, we came across so many similar types of question that when we read the question, we are very quick to associate it to the type of question we have solved and learned. This association leads to mistakes. Don't associate the problem with any other problem you have learned. Try to understand the concept of the problem rather than its association with any other problem of a similar kind.
13. Take help from others without a hitch:
Most of the times we think that we are self-efficient to solve the problem on our own. This is sometimes misleading. It is true that we must feel confident, but not to the limit of overconfidence.
When we solve a problem, it is general that we have doubts related to it. So how to get a resolution of your doubts? Well, asking your teachers or buddies is the best thing to do. Actually, buddies and teachers understand the question better than any other person. They can help you with your doubts in a way that you may not have imagined.
14. Develop an environment around that is distraction free:
Everyone knows that Math needs concentration. Complex equations need all the attention from the learner. Any distraction may lead to a bad result. Distractions vary with the people. For some, a noise of the train is a distraction, while for some others it doesn't matter. For some, keeping the mobile near the desk is a distraction, while for some others who have the self-control, it is not a distraction.
So, you need to identify what distracts you the most and what leads to higher concentration environment. Once you have identified the problems, remove them and create a distraction-free environment for studying math.
15. Create a mathematical dictionary of your own:
There are a lot of mathematical dictionaries that are available in the market. But do all those definitions make sense for you? No, it is impossible. Those dictionaries are prepared keeping in mind all the type of audiences and not just the specific kind of audience. You need special treatment for yourself.
Mathematics, like other fields of study, has its own vocabulary. It is suggested that all math students must create Flashcards with a reference and definition of special terminologies, concepts, and definitions. These notes work like last time revisionary notes and help you to make a recap of all you have studied in a matter of minutes.
16. Do not just learn, but apply the Maths to the real world problems:
Maths seems boring most of the times when we do not see any logic about how mathematical concepts are applicable to our daily life or in the real world. While learning maths, try to apply all the mathematical concepts in real-world problems.
Remember, the practical application has helped many to change their perception of maths. The internet is full of such matter. You can find endless, e.g.’s of application of the math concepts in the real-life situation. Find the probability of winning a lottery that you have just purchased, find the time in which you can reach your destination if you travel with an average speed.
17. Understand the cumulative nature of math and constantly revise the concepts:
Most of the mathematics courses are cumulative. All the new things that you learn in the Math class depends in one way or the other on the subjects that you’ve learned previously. Not just this, you need to revise or remember the subject content from the previous classes also.
Can you learn the higher class algebra, without the knowledge about the basic algebra? No, it is not possible. Calculus cannot be learned without having a first-hand learning experience of Algebra and Trigonometry. So always approach Maths subject keeping its cumulative nature in mind.
18. Follow the proper process of problem-solving:
Making calculations of any kind is very easy in Maths if you follow the proper procedure of problem-solving. Do you know the problem-solving process? Well, the process is as follows:
- First, read the problem
- Read the problem again
- Write about what you are expected to find?
- Write about what you already know?
- If there is a requirement of some kind of diagram for solving the problem, draw it first and then proceed.
- Now, you know all, devise a plan to solve the problem.
- Work according to what you have planned and arrive at the answer.
- Check your answer
- Read the problem once again
If you can follow all the steps discussed above, the probability of making a mistake while solving a problem reduces to a minimum.
19. Taking notes properly in the class:
See, if you have not understood the concept well or if you do not remember all the tips and directions given to you that may help you to solve a problem, how will you proceed? To overcome this obstacle, one must take all the notes seriously in the class. There is a process that can be followed in the class to take notes effectively. The process is:
- Listen properly in the class and see on the board.
- Write down all the explanatory remarks highlighted by the teacher.
- Never miss noting important concepts/formula.
- Frequently question your instructor for any doubts that arise in your mind while taking the notes.
- I some confusion about the topic still persists, write it down somewhere to ask about them later, if it is not possible to clear the confusion instantly.
- After the notes taking process is over, edit/review your own notes.
- Revise your notes regularly.
20. Practice, practice, and practice:
With all the tricks and tips discussed above, nothing can produce true results if you will not bring all of them into practice. One can become a champion of Math only by practicing the related problems regularly. The problem possesses its own characteristic, and there are many ways present in which you can solve the same problem. You just need to explore the possible ways and practice them to the limit that it becomes habitual. The reality is, to be successful in the Math exam and quick calculation, you need to practice and solve a lot of mathematical problems for a longer time.
Conclusion: The above-discussed ways are a way to arouse the interest, to get good marks and to make you fall in love with the subject of Maths. Just follow all the tips religiously, and you will find that once considered as a killer subject, turns into an enlightening and happening subject. Math is just fun. Applying them to real life is even more fun. Try and explore all the possibilities to love this subject.